Basic Cuba Info
Let’s get through quickly with the basic Country Info
- Official Name: Republic of Cuba.
- Official Language: Spanish.
- Currency: National currency is the Cuban Peso but there is also a hard currency: the Cuban Convertible Peso (CUC). Read more about Cuban Money here
- Electricity: 110 volts, 60 cycles. Most Hotels are also 220 volts.
- Political Status: Socialist Republic.
- Population: Over 11 million inhabitants and 75.2 % live in urban areas. Most densely populated provinces are the City of Havana (2.2 millions), Santiago de Cuba (1 million) and Holguín (1 million).
- Most important cities/towns: Havana, Matanzas, Santiago de Cuba, Holguín, Camagüey, Viñales in Pinar del Río, The Keys in Ciego de Avila, Trinidad in Sancti Spiritus, Cienfuegos, Isla de la Juventud, Santa Clara, Morón and Baracoa.
- Time: Eastern Standard Time, 5 hours behind GMT. There is Daylight Saving Time.
- Capital: Havana
- Climate: pleasant subtropical climate all year round. The average temperature is 25, 5ºC and 80% humidity.
- Technology and Internet: Wifi hotspots are now available thru Etecsa phone company. Check out the main article here
- Bring Euros, CAD, Pounds instead of USD
- For a cultural experience, don’t miss Havana, Trinidad and Santiago de Cuba. If you love Nature, you will enjoy Viñales, If you want to relax, Varadero and the Cayos are a must.
- Bring a 220 volts adapter